Sep 10, 2013

Hakka Noodles (vegetarian)

After G it's H for this week's second day, we have to cook with H means a recipe name starts with H. Other then this Hakka noodles recipe I didn't find and street food recipe for H. Surprisingly I didn't find more recipes for this letter under street food theme. Till G I have a two or three recipe choice for each letter but not for H. Finlay I decided to make this Hakka Noodles recipe.
                                                    I don't know why, this is the only food we both don't like. This is the one more popular street food. I don't know why this name give to this dish. Yes noodles is a Chinese dish not only China it is popular allover the world. Is there any connection between Hakka people and this noodle recipe I don't know. But what I know is Hakka is a language in China.

                                                                           Any way  that is not our problem, but Hakka noodles is a Indo- Chinese recipe which is very popular as a street food. I never tasted it out side but have seen many times those streets vender's making this in their stalls. Here in Chennai nearby my house there are some street food stalls. They start their stalls by evening 6 o clock you must see the menu which is written on a board and hang to the wall. The list goes like this Gopi Manjuriyan ( gobi manchuriyan), Vegetable fried rice, Hakka newdils ( Hakka noodles) I stoped there for a while to understand!!!!. Then I understand come on that is Hakka noodles..
Hakka noodles
                                                      Then I stand there and watch for recipe the person who is making the noodles he is very fast just like a machine, with in few minutes he made 4 plates of noodles. By the time I didn't even understand a bit. Only thing I understand is he kept his noodles boiled and ready to use, and chopped all vegetables and kept ready. The I ask the person what did he add for this noodle recipe. He told me that he can not tell the recipe, Then I ordered a plate of noodles, and carefully watched what he is doing. Yehhh finally I got the recipe. Surprisingly he served the noodles top with sliced onions and tomato ketchup. I gave that plate of noodles to my servant's daughter she enjoyed them that is an other story. Now here is the recipe for Hakka noodles.....

For this Hakka noodles first I used magi noodles with this I didn't get the texture. Then I tried with other brand noodles, then I brought a pack of Hakka noodles pack. So if you wants that perfect texture for noodles then buy Hakka noodles pack there are egg noodles and wheat noodles in this Hakka noodles...
INGREDIENTS:---
Hakka noodles --- 1 pack that is 400gms I used ching's Hakka noodles
Carrot  ----  1 big cut in to long strips
Green bell pepper  ---  1 bug cut in to long pieces
Cabbage   ---  shredded 1 cup
Green onion  ---- 1 bunch cut in to small pieces both green and white parts
Garlic   ----- 6 cloves finely chopped
Red chilli powder   ---- 1 tea sp
Soy sauce  ---  4 tab sp
Salt to taste
Sesame oil  ---  2 tae sp  the food stall person used nearly 1/4 th cup of oil I reduced it.
Noodles masala  --- 1 tab sp (he didn't told me what he used, I used magi masala)
Vinegar    -----  2 tab sp
He added ajinamoto I didn't add that if you like can add a 1/4 tea sp.
METHOD:---
1. Boil enough water in a big wide pan, bring to full boil add a pinch of salt and a splash of oil boil for a while then add noodles and cook till done.
2. Take out few noodles press with your finger if they are soft and sponge they are done, then drain quickly, pour some cold water to stop cooking on noodles.
3. Spread the noodles on a plate and sprinkle some more oil to prevent them from sticking to each other, let them cool.
4. Heat oil in a wok add chopped garlic fry for a second then add green onion white and green portions (keep some green portion to garnish I forgot that) keep the heat in high and fry onions for a second.
5. Now add carrot, bel pepper. cabbage stir in between, add red chilli powder, salt to taste, vinegar, soy sauce, noodles masala give a good stir in a high heat.
6. Cook vegetables for only few minutes, vegetables should retain their color.
7. Switch off the heat and add noodles, mix carefully till all the ingredients are well combined.
Bring back to the heat and cook in low heat for 3 minutes and switch off the heat.
Serve top with sliced onion and green part of the spring onion and tomato ketchup
Let's check the blogging marathon page here



Logo courtesy : Preeti

23 comments:

Rumana Rawat said...

yumm.. even i had make this hakka noodles last night for dinner.

Priya Suresh said...

I can have this noodles even daily,my all time favorite hakka noodles.

Unknown said...

love your idea of presenting in paper plates... like how we get when we enjoy the street food!! hakka noodles is a delicious one!!

Sowmya

Unknown said...

hakka noodles looks so yummy and tempts me dear !!loving this version !!

kitchen queen said...

delicious and yummy noodles.

Prema said...

wow yummy noodles,love it at any time...

Rajani S said...

If I were you, all I would have guessed is that the noodles were precooked. I dont think I can ever get a recipe right by watching just watching the vendors as they do it so fast :)..

Srivalli said...

Good for you that you settled on hakka noodles Padma, your picture has turned out sinfully tempting..

Gayathri Kumar said...

Lovely plate of noodles. You are making me hungry...

cookingwithsapana said...

Lovely noodles and well presented .

Chef Mireille said...

I think this is what we call ramen noodles and there is a restaurant here that is all they serve different varieties but most of us only eat this when in college because it is very inexpensive. funny how it is so popular there on other part of the world

Harini R said...

My kids love these noodles!! picture is too tempting to pass!

The Pumpkin Farm said...

i sometimes enjoy the maggi noodles as well...for a change of taste, this recipe is so elaborately written...wonderful

preeti garg said...

Look tempting and tasty.

vaishali sabnani said...

I too do not like noodles much specially maggi..but Hakka Noodles with vegetables are quite nice and with all the sauces taste pretty good.Your version seems desi ..with ketchup and onion:)

Padmajha said...

That's definitely a superb choice for the alphabet Padma. Love the clicks :)

Pavani said...

Love this dish any time of the day.. yummy!!

Unknown said...

Yummy noodle.. Love to have them any time..

Suma Gandlur said...

That's a tempting platter of noodles there.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

These noodles are so inviting! Love to have noodles :)

Sandhya Karandikar said...

I am sure each state in India will have different spellings and pronunciations for Chinese dishes. even the way Chinese is spelled sometimes can make you laugh.
Your noodle recipe is the ultimate street food variety.

veena said...

That is one tempting platter of noodles....delicious

Archana said...

Hmmm! My favourite. Love your plate wish I could eat it now.