Nov 4, 2012

Cholar Dal -- Chana Dal

This is my second recipe for BM under the theme of West Bengali Dishes. I always take inspiration for some people around me in that list first person is my mother. I never saw my mother tired, She has done everything to us, I never saw her wasting time till today. And the second lady is Srivalli, every time I think about Valli I get energy, Really believe me Valli. I know her as a fellow blogger from 4 years and personally from one year. Such a sweet lady and a very good friend of mine. Now coming to the next friend of mine I met her few months back only, but I know her almost from one year. Till to day I did not understand how this lady can manage time for everything. Yes I am talking about Deepa from hamaree rasoi, She is from Bengal. I book marked  some recipes from her blog. When I saw the theme in BM I got an opportunity to try them. So in that list here is my recipe from Deepa's hamaree rasoi Cholar Dal. 
             
Cholerdal                                     According to Deepa this is a made for each other combination with loochi or puri for Sunday's breakfast. Yes I agree to that, normally we do not have dal with puri we make potato curry or tomato curry or any kurmas. But when I read in deepas blog that this is a best combination with puri I have a small doubt in my mind whether it will work out or not. When I tasted it with loochi unbelievable!! that is really a made for each other combination. Not only with lootchis or puris this is a perfect combination with plain steamed rice also. We enjoyed this delicious dal from Bengali cuisine and A big thanks to Deepa for this wonderful recipe.
INGREDIENTS:---
Chana dal --- 200 gms
Green chillies  --- 2,(1 choped and one slit)
Cinnaman --- 1 inch stick
Bay leaves --- 2
Cloves  ---  3
Dry red chilli --- 1
Cardamom --- 3
Grated coconut --- 2 tab sp
Coconut cut in to small pieces  -- 2 tab sp
Turmeric powder  --- 1/2 tea sp
Ginger  ---  1 tea sp grated
Black pepper  --  few corns
Cumin seeds  --- 1 tea sp
Red chilli powder  --- 1 tea sp
Asafoetidia  ---  a pinch
Ghee  ---  1 tab sp
Sugar  ---  1 tea sp
Salt  --- 3/4 tea sp
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
Bengali chooler dal METHOD:---
1. Wash and soak chana dal for 2 hours.
2. Pressure cook dal with Turmeric, 1 bay leaf, and cardamom for one whistles ( make sure that dal did not cook too mashey).
3. Heat Ghee in a pan fry coconut pieces till golden remove and set aside.
4. Now add Cumin seeds, black pepper corns, slit green chilli, choped green chili, cloves, cinamon, dry red chilli, bay leaf and let them crackle.
5. Then add asafoetida, grated ginger, fry for a second add red chilli powder mix well and pour this seasoning on the top of cooked dal.
6. Add salt, sugar, grated coconut and fried coconut pieces check the consistency if the dal is too thick add 1/2 cup water. Check and adjust salt mix well and cook for two minutes or bring to a full boil in a high flame.
7. Remove from heat garnish with choped coriander leaves and serve hot with Loochi or puri or plain steamed rice.
This is my second recipe in the theme of West Bengal Dishes in BM 22nd edition let's check the BM page for other recipes

13 comments:

Gajus kitchen said...

Wish to have it with pooris and love those fried coconut bits on top

Jayanthi said...

Love the coconut bits on top and the dal looks so nice.

Anonymous said...

Looks very very nice Padma! I had this dal when we visited Calcutta a few years ago and I just loved it

Chef Mireille said...

love all that coconut

sushma said...

Dal looks awesome and flavorful.

Unknown said...

that is so tempting.. a very nice picture of the combo!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour

virunthu unna vaanga said...

wow dal dal... so tempting me... can u pass the bowl of dals...
Today's Recipe - Baked Idli without Idli Pan
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

The Pumpkin Farm said...

nice and new recipe for me...looks very pretty

Rajani S said...

I have tried this combination before and it tastes so great together! And yes, at home we call Valli as the Superwoman :)

Sapthanaa Vytheswaran said...

looks lovely

Srivalli said...

I love luchis and channa dal goes so well with it..

Pavani said...

Such a comforting and tasty bowl of dal. Yumm!!

preeti garg said...

Awesome recipe