Khichdi is one of the comfort and healthy one bowl meal which normally made by rice and dal and no other spices. I changed that mild tasted khichdi in to a spicy version. Which turned in to a whole meal by itself. Best combination for this spicy khichdi is just plain curd so here is the recipe..
INGREDIENTS:---Rice --- 1&1/2 cup (I used basmathi rice you can use any other rice)
Whole moong dal (whole green gram with skin) --- 1/4 cup
Split green gram ( moong dal) --- 1/4 cup
Fresh green peas -- 1/4 cup
Carrot --- 1 big cut in to small cubes
Potato --- 1 medium cut in to cubes
Onion -- 1 medium sliced
Cumin seeds -- 1 tea sp
Ghee or oil --- 1 tab sp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder -- 1/2 tea sp
For Masala :--
Green chillies --- 4
Fresh coriander leaves -- 1/2 cup
Fresh mint leaves --- 1/4 cup
Garlic cloves --- 9 cloves
Ginger --- 2 inch pieces cut in to small pieces
Grated fresh coconut -- 1 tab sp
Cinamon --- 1 inch piece
Cloves --- 5
Grind all above ingredients with little water in to a fine paste and set a side.
1. Wash and soak both dals in enough water for 1 hour.
2. Wash and soak rice for 10 minutes
3. Heat ghee or oil in a pan add cumin seeds let them fry for a while then add sliced onion, fry till onion turn in to transparent.
4. Then add potato cubes cook for five minutes then add carrot, green peas Turmeric powder, Salt to taste cover and cook for seven minutes.
5. Now add soaked dal give a good stir cover and cook till all the water disappears.
6. In the mean while drain the water from rice and set a side.
7. Add ground masala, rice to the vegetables give a good stir then add three and half cups of water mix well cover and cook till done.
If you want to make this khichdi in a pressure cooker then cook for 2 whistles.
Serve with plain yogurt or raita
This is my recipe for day 4 in Blogging Marathon 12th edition group 2 lets check the Marathon page .