Jan 31, 2009

VANKAYA PODI KURA(EGG PLANT STIR FRY)

brinjal is one of the most fav. vegetable in Andhra pradesh.We make a lot of varieties with this vegetable My husband is a great fan of this vegetable and when ever i ask him to bring vegetables, sure he will bring 2 varieties of brinjals, and also bottle gourd hummmm also ridge gourd and first thing he will ask me to make this curry so this curry is specialy for my hubby dear. And this is my first entry for Alka s just for you event at Sindhi Rasoi.



Egg plants(brinjals) ---- 1/2 kg (500gms)i used long varietie eggplants for this curry.
Onion --- 1 big chopped
Red chili powder --- 1/2 tea sp
turmeric powder --- 1/4 tea sp
Salt to taste
Egg plant curry powder ---3 tea sp (vankaya kura podi recipe here)
Oil --- 1 tab sp
Mustard seeds ---- 1/2 tea sp
Cumin seeds ---- 1/ 2tea sp
uard dal --- 1 tea sp
Curry leaves a few
METHOD:----
Cut eggplant s in to 1inch long pieces and leave them in water with a pinch of salt.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan(kadai) add mustard seeds let them popup then add urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves then add chopped onion and fry till onion become soft.
Remove eggplant pieces from water and add to onion in the pan
Now add salt,turmeric powder cover and cook for 5 sec.
Stir once and add red chili powder and now remove the lid, no need to put lid, stir in between and cook till bringal become soft and cooked.
Serve this with sambar and rice or with Dosakaya pappu or Tomato pappu

16 comments:

Varsha Vipins said...

I was wondering wat Vankaya is..looks rich dear..n yummy too..:)

notyet100 said...

neqw version of brinjal curry for me to try,..

Chitra said...

my mom used to do this:)my favourite one!! it tastes great with curd rice!!

Shama Nagarajan said...

tempting me to taste it....yummy

Lakshmi said...

Vankaya cura and beeyam rotti make yummy combo Rekha. Potato bun recipe use chesanu and it came out well. Thanks dear :)

Priya Suresh said...

Looks delicious, i love eggplant curry much, this looks too good n tempting one...

Dershana said...

That podi sounds yum! Will try eggplant using that. Nice click!

Adlak's tiny world said...

yeah its our homes style favo curry. podi thooval.. looks gr8 dear

Anonymous said...

Wow i adore eggplants,i love them in any form and this recipe sounds so good..thnks for letting me know one more way of having my fav. veggie
Thnks for sending in to our event :-)

Nithya Praveen said...

Ummmmm yummy....my all time fav dish,my husband makes fun of me coz i tell him that i can eat brinjals all three meals a day:-P.Am so tempted to make this.Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

CurryLeaf said...

Lovely and spicy.Perfect with rice.I love this and make a different version of this

Pavithra Kodical said...

This is something new to me..

Anonymous said...

This is a wonerful dish. I love eggplant & this looks soo spicy ...

I love your chana in the palak & coriander gravy. Very unique!

Vibaas said...

Looks so delicious rekha. I had it at a friend's place long back, when i had the least bit of interest in cooking. Never bothered to take the recipe..Glad u posted it :)

Cham said...

Brinjal in any form I am ready for the game, love it

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make this. I tried it yesterday and it tasted exaclty the same as my mom's dish. Thanks for a wonderful recipe and to make me feel cose to my home even for a short while.